I love the Minnesota State Fair. I’m not even sure why. It’s pretty much the same year after year. It’s hot, crowded, and I usually have a stomach ache when I head home. But still we go. And have fun. And eat ourselves stupid (although Mike and I have figured out that buying and sharing just 1 of each item is the best way not to explode by the end of the evening).
So what draws me back? Here’s my list. Feel free to add your “must do’s” to it. I’ll start with the food.
* Pronto Pups
* Ear of corn, piping hot and dripping with butter (no, we don’t share this!)
* Chocolate Malts from the Dairy Barn
* Sweet Martha’s cookies
* Pork Chop on a Stick
* Ice Cold Milk
* French Fries
* and whatever else looks good (there will be plenty of new items to try)
* As we stroll out to the bus lot, tired and dirty, we polish off a bag of Tom Thumb mini-donuts
There’s the new Food Finder that allows you to scroll through all of the food items being offered and find their exact location. Can’t beat that with a stick!
* Being lifelong suburbanites, we love the Miracle of Birth barn. (I told a writing friend about that this past weekend and she looked at me like I was crazy. But then, she’s a rancher’s wife, so she sees plenty of it in her own backyard)
* Strolling through the Hippodrome
* Being in awe of the 4-H kids and what they can do with fabric, wood, or paint
* The U of M building
* Inching our way through the Grandstand exhibits
* Wandering the DNR building (no, that doesn’t stand for Do Not Resuscitate – that’d be just plain gross!)
* Enjoying the lights and action of the Midway
* Visiting Heritage Square (which will be a parking lot next year, I believe) 😦
My hubby always enjoys seeing Sean Emery, a juggler who performs at The Family Fair in Baldwin Park
We also like to pause to watch the talent contest as we wander past (several times)
With the cost of parking on the fairgrounds, we are now happy to park (for free) in one of the lots by the U of M football stadium and ride the bus over.
What’s on your must-do list for the fair this year? Or is going to the fair not even on your radar?