Not the rodent kind – the Minnesota kind! The Golden Gophers.
Here are some fun facts about the University of Minnesota – a school that makes us proud to be called gophers (from umn.edu):
* 43,802 undergraduates currently enrolled
* 1,434,000 square feet of classroom space
* The U generates $13.20 for every $1 invested
* 21 research and outreach centers
- 14 regional extension offices
- 2,184,000 square feet of research space and laboratories
- Over the past 5 years, inventions by U of M researchers have generated nearly $390 million in revenue for the state
- 10 galleries and museums
* U alumni have gone on to start over 10,000 in-state companies, employing 500,000 people and generating $100 billion in revenue.
* UMTC is 2nd in the Big Ten with 167 freshmen who are National Merit Scholars.
* The U’s enrollment has reached 68,148 with a 16:1 student to faculty ratio.
* On September 2, 1952, the world’s first successful open-heart surgery was performed at the U.
Find more fun U of M facts at http://www1.umn.edu/twincities/campus-facts/index.html